Dr. Janet Childs
Since 1970, Janet Childs has been actively providing crisis intervention counseling and education focusing on the dynamics of loss, illness, crisis, stress and grief.
As a founding member of the Centre for Living with Dying, Janet has participated in the growth of this organization, and has worked with thousands of individuals, groups and professionals on the front lines. The Centre is an international bereavement counseling service – the most comprehensive of its kind in the country.
She presently oversees the educational programs and directs the Bay Area Critical Incident Stress Management Team. She has personally facilitated response to many major critical incidents such as 9-11, Hurricane Katrina and local incidents in California.
She has offered POST Certified Training for public safety personnel as well as provided training for nurses, social workers and other first responders/ law enforcement professionals. She is on the Leadership Team of CADRE (Collaborating Agencies Disaster Relief Effort).
Dr. Childs brings over 45 years of experience in counseling, crisis intervention, volunteer management and training development.
- AAETS(American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress): Diplomate
- M.A. and Doctorate in Theology, Summa Cum Laude
- B.A. with Great Distinction, 1974 Special Major, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
- Basic law
- Critical Incident Stress Management
- Stress Management for Dispatchers
- Stress Management for Law Enforcement
- Preventing Burnout: Building Resiliency
- Dealing with Suicidal Callers (RPs)
- Dealing with Suicidal Subjects
- Trauma Communication & Death Notification
- Psychological First Aid: The Aftermath of Disaster
- CAPTO (California Assn. of Police Training Officers) – Award of Recognition- 1992
- COMA (Communications Operations Managers Association) Susan A. Voellger Award for training and professionalism for dispatchers – 1994
- U.S. Department of Justice Award of Appreciation for outstanding dedication and service on behalf of crime victims – 1994
- San Jose Unified School District Superintendents Award for talented support of students and staff in their response to death, grief, and violence – 1994
- The National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children, Father Ken Czillinger Professional Award for outstanding contribution, dedication and sensitivity to the victims of violent crime – 1996
- Santa Clara County Medical Association Citizen’s Award – 2000
- MADD Key Award for Honorable Service – 2002
- San Jose Fire Department – Class A Civilian Devoted Service Award – 2006
- Oakland Fire Department – Award for CISM Team Development – “Healing Those Who Serve” – 2005
- Santa Clara County Communications Managers Association Award – 2009
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Association: Movers of Mountain Award – 2013
- David Burgess Life Time Achievement Award for AIDS Education – 2013
- Victim Support Network Unsung Heroes Award – 2015